Onward to victory!
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Today was the final shave until Dec. 1st. I'm in a contest with my brother in law and my dad, to see who can grow the best beard. Below are a couple of progressive pictures as I cleaned up.
Pics after the jump...
Pics after the jump...
Monday, October 29, 2012
"...the male beard communicates an heroic image of the independent, sturdy, and resourceful pioneer, ready, willing and able to do manly things." - Unknown
20 years ago some friends and I used to play a game called "Who's More Grizzled?". It consisted of a few random and unknowing"contestants", usually some of the more "townsy" folk from my hometown. We'd point out a couple of different people to our friends, then ask the question, "Who's More Grizzled?" Imagine it like a game show where the audience yells out the catch phrase: "WHO'S! MORE! GRIZZLED?!!"
I tell you that story to tell you this.
My brother in law, "Jason" of Two Thumbs Brewing fame, and from yonder Moanstead has formally challenged me to a beard contest. This is excellent news for me, as it gives me an official reason to save loads of money on not buying razors, other than laziness. I've had a goatee & sideburns for well over 10 years, so for me it's just completing the puzzle. My competition however, has has a full on beard for the last 2 years, and on and off for many years before.
Well worn experience verses novice novelty.
With any good contest, there are rules. I mean after all, this isn't 'Nam. The following were submitted and agreed upon: (with appreciation to beards.org)
- Must start the competition with a clean shave, last shave on Oct. 31 anytime.
- Photographic evidence of clean shave must be retained and perhaps shared with other participants
- If [Steve (Andy's dad)] would like to join us, he could join without having to shave the mustache. He's had the 'stache for nearly 40 years.
- Judging to be held Thanksgiving Day, prior to dinner.
- Acceptable shaving during competition includes the neck and tidying beard edges.
- Judging Criteria:
- Length (25%)
- Fullness (25%)
- Style and Sophistication (25%)*
- General Manliness (25%)*
- Judges: The associated ladies (if they remain that way) of the contestants.
- Grand Prize: To Be Determined.
The challenge? I accept.